Monday, January 14, 2008

Vicious Circles

Response to: Hippocampus

Diane - I have to admit that I haven't done much research on specific brain structures yet. I guess I'm so far out on the purely functionalist track that anything having to do with structure scares me to death. ;-)

However - when it comes to the brain things might be different after all.
I found another interesting article about the effects of severe stress on hippocampal volume.

If you think about patients with chronic pain it all starts making sense:
pain leads to stress - stress leads to gray matter loss in the brain (not just in the hippocampus) - thereby limiting the amount of neurons you have to be able to learn something new. It really is a vicious circle. Scary stuff.

I wonder if an increase in hippocampal volume is universal, i.e. can these new neurons then be used for other tasks as well or are they built for one task only?

No comments: