Sunday, November 8, 2009

Moving a humanantigravity suit around

I confess that my usual perspective on the nervous system is from outside in - I consider what happens when I put my hand on someone else's body part, and consider ensuing movement output as a consequence, as a nervous system's direct response.. there's almost always that idea of my inputting some sort of talented (or not) sensory input - first. That's how my treatment brain works - it uses the "operator"/"interactor" model, by default, usually, and my conceptualizations end up being informed by it.

I've been away from clinical work for over 4 months now, and my brain is learning to think in different ways. So, when I think of "movement" now, I'm seeing it in more abstract terms. Lately several papers and blogposts about movement have come to my attention. I don't know how they synthesize, yet.. but I'm paying attention to the process, at least. I'd like to outline a few thoughts about them, bearing in mind the role of the brain as predictor, oscillator, simulator. First though, I'm going to just link them here.

1. The Brain in its Body: Motor Control and Sensing in a Biomechanical Context The Hournal of Neuroscience

2. Podcast interview of Barrett Dorko by Rod Henderson, May '09

3. A sensory source for motor variation Nature

4. Physiologically impossible movement of phantom limbs explained at Body in Mind blog (Lorimer Moseley)

5. Tiny Laser-scanning Microscope Images Brain Cells In Freely Moving Animals Science Daily

6. Two Wrongs Make a Right – Abnormal Brain Circuitry May Stop Abnormal Movement BrainBlogger

7. A head of time: For the first time, neuroscientists find brain cells that keep track of time with extreme precision. MIT - Everything gets a timestamp.

8. NOI Notes on Movement as Antigen David Butler's blog/newsletter

9. Primate anterior cingulate cortex: where motor control, drive and cognition interface. 2001

No comments: